Cutesy name for a great healthy snack. These are another great pre/post-run snack, with a spicy/savory side, if you’d rather have that than something on the sweet side, like these little (healthy) brownie bites I recently made. I have a big sweet tooth, but I do enjoy these snacks in place of my chip craving.
I think these are also a great little extra snack for that big football game that is coming up next week. Despite (or more like despite) all the controversy that is leading up to the game, I’m excited to watch this year (Go Pats!). Most years, I’m just there for the food. 🙂
The spicy flavors of these chickpeas parallel all those savory buffalo wing/blue cheese/pepperoni snacks that are pitched to eat during the game, and these are healthy to boot. So, you can get your snack on and not feel like you over-indulged. Stick to a bite or two of each food, so you can taste it all and still have room for dessert!
If you’re like me you have a nagging sweet tooth, and so crispy chickpeas are a healthy little snack, with a spicy/savory element.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 15-oz cans of chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Dry on a paper towel.
- Remove any loose skins.
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and add the olive oil and all the spices. Toss to coat well.
- Place chickpeas in a single layer on a baking pan.
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then dig in! Keeps for up to a week in a dry place.