What do you get when you add lime to a Corona? Corona & Lime Cupcakes. This blog post shows how to make the traditional Mexican cocktail in cupcake form.
Although as the weather gets warmer, I bake less often, I found that summer-flavored cupcakes with fruit-inspired flavors are a good substitute for normally heavy chocolate cupcakes. This recipe is a testament to that – light, lime, tangy, and perfect for summer! Corona and Lime cupcakes just make me think instantly of the beach. Man, I wish I were on the beach right now…Good thing Memorial Day is around the corner, hopefully, it’s a perfect first beach weekend where you live!
If you’re not a fan of Corona (or beer), you can substitute the dairy-free milk of your choice (like soy, almond, or coconut) in this recipe. Don’t skimp on the lime juice or zest in the frosting recipe – that’s what gives it the tangy taste. If you’re having a BBQ this weekend, make these for dessert, and enjoy the weather!
Corona & Lime Cupcakes
If you’re having a BBQ this weekend, make these corona and lime cupcakes for dessert. Don’t skimp on the lime juice in the frosting–that’s the tangy taste!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 24 minutes
Total Time: 24 minutes
Yield: 16 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corona
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a medium mixing basin, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add corona to the dry mixture and begin stirring to mix in.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add to the other ingredients and gently combine until no dry parts remain.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack.
- Brush the tops of the cupcakes with more beer, if desired, as the cupcakes cool.
- Let cool completely before decorating with frosting.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Mix until incorporated and fluffy.
- Add the lime juice and zest and combine well.
- Frost the cupcakes and add another sprinkle of lime zest to the tops, if desired. Enjoy!