What to do with a whole watermelon? When we got back from our trip (check out our Baltimore & Richmond, Charleston, New Orleans, and Austin recaps), I was super excited to go grocery shopping and get back to cooking (eating out on the road is tough). I was a little over-eager and bought a whole watermelon – 1 week out from 4th of July, with no plans. So, what to do with a whole watermelon besides eat it raw, before it goes bad? A new recipe, of course – granita! Granita is basically fancy Italian ice which originated in Sicily.
It’s super fancy-looking, so it’s perfect to serve to guests, and it’s also really easy to make! You can use any fruit – mango, pineapple, peaches, berries – or even make it chocolate. Added bonus, you can make it boozy by adding white rum, vodka, or tequila.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours and 10 mins
Yield: Serves 8-10
- 1/2 a large, seedless watermelon (about 5 cups of watermelon chunks) 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- optional: 1/2 cup alcohol (white rum, vodka, tequila)
- Dice 1/2 a watermelon into large chunks and place into a blender.
- Measure out the sugar and pour into blender.
- Juice 1 large lime and pour juice into blender.
- Blend until smooth, and pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Place in freezer for ~2 hours. As liquid begins to freeze, rake with a fork. Return to freezer and stir every 2 hours, breaking up clumps and creating ice crystals. Rake once more, just before serving. Serve in glassware, ice cream cups, or a scooped out watermelon half.
Can be stored up to 4 days in a covered container in freezer.