With apple and pumpkin season ramping up in New England, zucchini season is winding down. But, if you’ve got a few more zucchinis you need to use up, here is a perfect recipe that’ll use up a couple. This recipe is also vegetarian (and could be vegan if you leave out the cheese!), which is perfect for Meatless Monday. I like to go against the trend, so I make this on Sundays. I’m such a rebel, I know.
These little boats are filling – even my husband gets full after eating one (ok, maybe 2). So, here’s the run down: these boats are vegetarian, filling, and a way to use up lots of zucchini. And, they have a great presentation. Win. Every day needs a win, so make these tonight. Enjoy!
P.S. In my opinion, the dill and the sherry are what really make for great flavors in this dish. But if you don’t have them, that’s ok, too.
Vegetarian Zucchini Boats
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons dill
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Slice zucchini in half and scoop out seeds to make room for stuffing. Reserve ~1/4 of the zucchini flesh that you scooped out to mix back in with the filling. You can save the rest to make zucchini bread or muffins!
- Place hollowed out zucchini in a greased baking pan, cut sides up.
- Saute onions and garlic in a nonstick pan over medium heat, using 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- When onions are soft, add the mushrooms, tomatoes, reserved zucchini, sherry, soy sauce, and dill. Saute a few minutes more, until the mushrooms and tomatoes are soft.
- Rinse the spinach well, shake off excess water, and add to the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and cover. Let rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the rice into the veggie mix and season with a bit of freshly ground pepper.
- Mound the veggie and rice stuffing mix in the zucchini boats, sprinkle with feta, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 25 minutes, until zucchini is fork-tender. Uncover and bake until cheese topping is nicely browned, another 5 minutes.