Back in the day, I didn’t like “sour” desserts. Lemon bars, lemon curd, key lime pie – I didn’t consider those desserts. In my opinion, desserts are supposed to be sweet. But in the last few years, I’ve come around. I even chose a lemon cake with lemon curd filling for 1 tier of our wedding cake, and it was fantastic! (The second tier was my husband’s delicious choice of dark chocolate with salted caramel filling, and a coconut buttercream icing. The cake was made by our lovely friend, Danielle, who is a professional chef for America’s Test Kitchen (!) and an all-around amazing, kick-ass woman.)
Since I’ve come around, I have a whole set of new desserts to try. I’ve already made homemade lemon curd (which tastes great on top of ice cream or pound cake), so now I’m trying this simple key lime pie. This pie makes me think of summer and warm weather. It’s finally getting warm here in Boston (yay!), so this is a great way to bring the warm sunshine inside to your plate. The key lime flavor, plus some sour cream, has a hint of tang to it, which tempers the sweetness of the sweetened condensed milk.
What do you think of “sour” desserts? Are they your jam, or do you stick to sweet sweets?
Simple Key Lime Pie
This simple key lime pie and sour cream has a hint of tang to it, which tempers the sweetness. It’ll bring the warm sunshine inside right to your plate.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes with the oven turned off
Chill Time: 3 hours, at least
Total Time: 4 hours
Yield: 8 servings
- 6 graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup key lime juice (bottled or fresh, ~30 key limes needed for fresh juice)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- Melt butter in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Place graham crackers in a quart sized plastic bag, close bag, and crush with your hands or a rolling pin until you have small crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons sugar to bag and shake to combine.
- Grease a 9-inch round pie pan.
- Place the graham crackers and melted butter in the pie pan and combine well with a spatula. Press the mixture into the sides and bottom of the pan to form a crust.
- In a large bowl, combine the 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, 3/4 cup key lime juice, and 1/2 cup sour cream until smooth.
- Pour the key lime filling into the pie pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the oven off and keep the pie in for 30 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for ~30 minutes. Then place in the fridge for ~3 hours to chill.
- Top with whipped cream and lime wedges or mint garnish. Serve chilled.