I have to start off this recipe recap by saying that these salmon patties were amazing! I’m incredibly excited to make this recipe again, which is a great review from me for making this for the first time. I also think it helps that our oven has a convection cooking setting, which helps the patties become crisp on the outside, but stay moist and tender on the inside.
I’ve been trying out lots of new recipes with new ingredients, and thus, growing fond of the new additions to my cooking repertoire. This recipe has many key and star-of-the-show ingredients, which are becoming new favorites for me, including fresh dill and capers. The dill is a great compliment to the rich taste of the salmon, and I think it was my favorite part of this recipe.
I served the patties atop a green salad: romaine lettuce, sliced green onions, and 1 can of rinsed mandarin orange slices. The dressing I made consisted of ¼ cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar (next time, I would reduce this to ½ tablespoon, I thought it was too sweet), salt and pepper to taste. Very refreshing, and a nice compliment to the salmon!
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, finely diced (about ½ cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1.5 pounds skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1½ T fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (or a small sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes)
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 T capers – drained, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 2 T chopped fresh dill
- 1½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Start by dicing 3 stalks of celery (about 1 cup) and 1 leek. Make sure to rinse the leek well, to get rid of sand!
- Sautée this over medium-low heat in a skillet, stirring occasionally until soft and opaque. Let it cool, while you get the salmon mixture ready.
- In a food processor, combine ~1.5 pounds of raw salmon fillet (skin removed), the juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Pulse this until combined to a paste, and transfer the salmon paste to a large bowl.
- Add ⅓ cup of mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons of diced capers, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill, and ⅓ cup of panko bread crumbs to the bowl and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Add in the sautéed leeks and celery, and form the mixture into 8 patties, coat them with another ¾ of the panko bread crumbs, and lay them in a oiled baking pan.
- Bake the patties at 425* on convection for 20 minutes, 10 on each side. If you’re baking in a regular oven, increase the temperature by 25* to 450*.