See the basics of how to chop an onion. Watch as the masterful RLK goes to town on an unsuspecting onion, while observing her skilled technique.
Steps for Success
- Cut the peeled onion in half.
- Lay the flat half of the onion on the cutting board.
- Hold the top of the onion with your non-cutting hand while slicing into it with the knife held firmly. Make roughly 1/4″ high cuts, cup from the cutting board, as shown.
- Position the onion so you can make 1/4″ cuts vertically, across those previously made, as shown.
- Position the onion so you can make 1/4″ cuts vertically, perpendicular to those made in step #4. Make these repeated cuts so that the the chopped piece of the onion now fall away and the knife moves closer to the rind of the onion.
- When the onion is small enough to be difficult to cut, again lay the flat side down on the cutting board and chop it with vertical cuts until you again get closer to the rind.
- Chop the onion on either side of the rind.
- Repeat the above steps for the un-chopped half of the onion.