This past weekend was my birthday. My husband baked me cupcakes, because he knows how much I love cake for my birthday. (I’ve got a good one :)) I grew up in a family where birthday cake is a big deal, and it’s really important to have the exact amount of candles as you are old, plus one for good luck! It’s quite a sight when the birthday person starts to get over 30…make sure you have the fire extinguisher ready!
I also went trapeezing with my sister and some friends. Random, I know, but I love it. This was my third time going, and I’m still scared of heights and my heart beats fast when I’m up there, but man, is it really fun to fly. If you get the chance to go, I highly recommend trying it out, especially an outdoor class.
I served this recipe at our recent BBQ, and everyone loved it. It will definitely be making a comeback at future events this summer. It’s perfect in its simplicity, but you can also modify it to include your favorite summer melons, like watermelon and honeydew.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 8 as a side
- 4 large mangoes, diced
- 3 medium seedless cucumbers
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh mint
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- a dash of salt and pepper
- optional: diced watermelon and/or honeydew melon
- Dice mangoes and place into a large bowl.
- Peel skin from cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices, and dice. Place into bowl.
- Chiffonade the mint leaves and place in bowl.
- Measure out the sugar and lime juice, and pour over the ingredients in the bowl. Salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Place in fridge to chill and serve chilled.