Late August is zucchini season. If you have a garden, you’re fully aware of this fact, and you’re probably eagerly looking for people to off-load your ba-gillion pounds of zucchini onto. Since I don’t have a garden (sadly), I will gladly take zucchini off your hands. For now, I hit the farmers market or the grocery store, which sells local-grown produce too, and think of new ways to make zucchini.
Here’s one of those ways: baked zucchini fries. Breaded and baked, they’re like crispy mozzarella sticks, only they’re not fried, and they’re a vegetable. I know I know, sounds a lot less fun, but trust me here, they are super delicious. The bread crumbs make up for the fact that they’re not fried. In fact, I think they are much better baked than a fried version. Try them out and see if you agree!
Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 oz fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together both types of breadcrumbs, garlic powder, paprika, and Parmesan cheese.
- Place flour in a large bowl.
- Crack eggs into another medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set up bowls in front of your workstation in this order: Flour, eggs, then breadcrumb mixture.
- Your choice: leave the skin on the zucchini or peel it. Cut zucchini in half width-wise, and then in half again length-wise. Cut pieces into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Place a small handful of zucchini wedges in the flour bowl, toss to coat, then transfer to the egg mixture. Using a fork, transfer the wedges from the eggs to the breadcrumb mixture, being sure to shake off the excess egg.Toss the wedges in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Leave room between the fries so they cook evenly. Spray the wedges with the nonstick spray as well.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes.
- Serve immediately for best crispy texture. If storing overnight for leftovers, just know the fries will not be crispy the next day if you reheat in a microwave.