Between becoming a Mrs, honeymooning across the United States, and a nagging injury last year, I didn’t run a race until December. My running was leisurely, but also unmotivated. It was nice to take a break, but I’m ready to get back to being a runner. So I signed up for a March half marathon and started my training again – but man, I forgot how tiring long runs are! I napped much of the day Saturday, and then we geared up for the Pats game. It was very exciting (and wicked stressful), and they got the win.
I’m really excited I found this recipe, especially now that I’m back in training. These little bites taste amazing, are filling, and so healthy! They are gluten-free, added sugar-free, full of protein, iron, and fiber, and very easy to make. They are my new favorite snack, especially for before or after running, and I’m going to be making them in bulk. I need to stock up on dates!
One word of advice: make these tiny (smaller than munchkin donuts). I made my first batch the size of munchkins, and they were a mouthful – very fudgy but difficult to chew. The smaller size will be easier to handle. Try them out. I hope you enjoy them as much as we are right now!
Coconut Chocolate Brownie Bites
These little coconut chocolate brownie bites taste amazing, they’re filling, and so healthy! Try them pre- or post-run.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 18 bites
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for rolling
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place dates in a bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 5 minutes to soften. Drain and remove the pits.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes a sandy consistency and starts to clump together. This will take several minutes. Unplug the food processor.
- Form mini balls, rolling the dough between your hands. If desired, roll the balls in shredded coconut.
- Enjoy right away, or store in refrigerator for up to one week.
Slightly adapted from: 5 Ingredient Chocolate Brownie Energy Bites, The Lemon Bowl