They are quintessential home-baked goods. You can’t go wrong with a classic chocolate chip, but you can do a one-up by experimenting with different add-ins. This is a recipe that has a lot of mix-ins that I had on hand, that all work well together to get an Almond Joy-style cookie: shredded coconut, slices of almond, almond extract, and chocolate chips. Yum. I liked the extra texture the coconut and the almonds gave the cookie.
I made a batch of these and brought them on our recent flight to Chicago. They were a nice little in-air treat to get us through the 2 hour flight for the start of a little long weekend getaway. We went to cheer on our friends as they ran the Chicago Marathon, which they all rocked. Since I did a bit of running around on the course between cheering destinations and also got in a Columbus Day Monday morning November Project Chicago workout (shoutout to some #BermudaTrainglePushups and #HurricaneBurpees), I didn’t feel so guilty indulging in these cookies and a couple slices of famous Chicago deep dish pizza. But that’s what vacation is for, right? We also made it to the top of the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel (if you think I was scared of the heights like last time, then you would be correct), got a selfie in the bean, checked out the Lake Michigan beaches, and walked the Magnificent Mile. A pretty full and fun weekend, despite a little rain. Hope you had a great long weekend, too!
Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is a recipe that has a lot of mix-ins that I had on hand, that all work well together to get an Almond Joy-style cookie: shredded coconut, slices of almond, almond extract, and chocolate chips. Yum.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen medium cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy, using the paddle attachment.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, until just combined.
- Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just barely combined.
- Mix in coconut, almonds, and chocolate chips by hand, using a spatula, until just combined.
- Drop scoops of dough onto cookie sheets, leaving a couple of inches between.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The edges will be just barely golden brown, and the cookies may look undercooked; they will continue to cook as the cool on the cookie sheet.
- Remove cookies from oven, and let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet.
- Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!