So when I first got into baking, I loved trying out recipes that had unique ingredients that you wouldn’t expect to be included. I think it’s because I missed out on a lot of good foods when I was younger, since I was a picky eater. Happily, I grew out of that phase and now I love to eat most everything, and most especially vegetables and healthy foods. But, I still have a small sweet tooth. OK a pretty good sweet tooth. OK a large sweet tooth, geeze lay off my back about it. This recipe is a great mix of those two health and sweet: Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, CHICKPEA Blondies. While that may sound a bit unappealing to some people, just they them, you might like them! Remember that time you didn’t like social media, and then you tried it, and now it’s attached to most of your life? These blondies are kinda of like that time.
This recipe is also vegan and gluten-free! There’s just chickpeas, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and maple syrup in them. And because there is no egg in this blondie recipe, you can definitely lick the spatula afterwards. 🙂 Best thing, this is another easy recipe, just mix everything in a food processor or blender, spread in a pan, and bake. You’re on your way to a healthy dessert. I wonder if these would count as breakfast, given all the protein in them…let me check…YUP, breakfast from now on whenever I want.
My finished product was quite good, but I would make a few tweaks next time I make this recipe. If I make them again using peanut butter, I’d add 1/2 cup of oats, just because I felt the peanut butter flavor overpowered them, and I think the oats would help tone down the pb. They would be closer to a granola bar than a blondie, but that’s a win as far as I’m concerned. I definitely also want to try this recipe out with almond butter in place of the pb—I think that flavor will be heavenly. Whoever makes it first wins. GO!
CHICKPEA Blondies, here to put the healthy back into your sweet.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 9 large or 25 mini squares
- 1-15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Coat an 8 × 8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Process ingredients until the batter is smooth, like hummus.
- Fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips and then spread batter evenly in the prepared pan with a spatula.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake on the top shelf for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and edges are light brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!
Very slightly adapted from: Flourless Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies with Sea Salt, The Comfort of Cooking