For the last couple of weeks here in the Northeast, we’ve been hit with this ‘Polar Vortex’ weather condition, with some really extreme cold temperatures. Of course, being New England, we’re used to crazy, and cold, weather so this isn’t too new, just colder. Basically, an excuse to stay inside all day and bake, in my book. So last weekend on a cold, windy day, I whipped up these browned butter brown sugar B3 cookies, the idea of which had been in my head for a couple of days, as I was trying to think of something new to try. They are inspired by my favorite ice cream place, Toscanini’s Ice Cream in Cambridge, and their B3 ice cream (brown butter, brownies, and brown sugar – can you say heaven?! Although, my favorite flavor there is the goat cheese brownie- so creamy and yummy!!).
The cookies were light and chewy when they first came out of the oven, but crisped up after a day, due to the brown sugar. Once crisp, they were the perfect cookie to dip into a hot cup of tea! Make these to share with your friends, and enjoy!
Browned Butter Brown Sugar B3 Cookies
Browned Butter Brown Sugar B3 Cookies are cookies to get you through any weather. Light and chewy right out of the oven, nice and crisped up after a day.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: approximately 3 dozen cookies
- 1/4 cup of butter, for browning + 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat until butter starts to brown, 10-12 minutes. Swirl pan every few minutes. Once the butter is browned, remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the 1/2 cup softened butter with the 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, using the whisk attachment on low-medium speed, until combined. Add the cooled browned butter and beat until combined. Change the whisk attachment to the paddle attachment.
- Preheat the oven to 350* F.
- Add in the eggs to the butter and sugar in the bowl, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Add in the tablespoon of vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl, and mix until all flour streaks have disappeared from the dough.
- Using a tablespoon, drop the dough on to a cookie sheet, leaving enough room on all sides (~1 inch) for the cookies to spread out.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, rotating the pan half-way through.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.