Since I brought home that bag of blood oranges last week, I’m on a blood orange recipe kick. Here’s the next rendition – a blood orange bourbon cocktail. This drink is reminiscent of the maple-ginger bourbon cider we made this fall. It’s the winter version of it, with more bright, citrus-y notes to help you out of the winter doldrums.
Good thing is, this drink it really easy and quick to make, especially if you already have simple syrup in the fridge. I used the simple syrup that was remaining from the candied oranges I made for the blood orange tart, so my version had extra hints of blood orange flavor. My favorite part of this drink is the color. It’s beautiful and bright.
Go ahead and mix yourself one, and enjoy the snow!
Blood Orange Whiskey
Go ahead and mix yourself a blood orange bourbon, and enjoy the snow!
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Shake Time: 10 seconds
Total Time: 2 minutes, 10 seconds
Yield: 1 Cocktail (multiply for a crowd!)
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (try ginger-flavored for a kick)
- 4 ounces blood orange juice
- ice cubes
- 1 blood orange slice, for topping
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour into a glass filled with ice, top with a blood orange slice, and enjoy!